About CAP Cooks
Welcome to CAP Cooks, the official Blog of the CAP Chef project.
The NSW Country Areas Program (NSW CAP) is an equity program that reduces the impact of distance and improves educational outcomes for geographically isolated schools and school communities. It does so through supplementary funding and support of local and network initiatives that facilitate innovation and collaborations between students, teachers and school communities within local contexts.
The CAP Northern Network is delighted to be working with Glenn and Cassandra Austin of X-Treme Chef Consulting to bring to rural schools the experience of working with an esteemed food service identity and a variety of engaging learning opportunities with a focus on the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
The CAP Chef Focus is on the following messages
- Regionalism, supporting local producers and identifying local products
- Healthy eating, a balance using fruits, vegetables, dairy and red meat
- Numeracy and literacy- the creation of a costed recipe and a text that explores the Hero Products and ingredients of a region.
- Hands on approach to cooking
- Hands on approach to gardening
The program will be a first for the “Country Areas Program Northern Network”.
- A 5 day road show, with Glenn & Cass visiting 5 host schools in NSW – These are Collarenebri Central School, Moree Secondary College, Warialda High School, Ashford Central School and Drake Public School from July 23rd to July 27th 2012
- Identifying a Hero Ingredient in a regional community, creating recipes, collaborating with community identities and the creation of a cookbook
- Sharing Film, Stories , recipes and conversations between schools, chefs and communities via this blog
- Fresh food gardens creation with the help of Michael Brown and local community collaboration.
We hope you enjoy our blog as we share our experiences.